Cafe With A Truly Unique Business Concept
Please Quote Reference B05790
Hilton Smythe are delighted to present to the market Mad Hatters Pottery Painting Cafe, a truly unique business concept offering any new owner the ability to walk straight in and continue making excellent profit.
The business was first developed by our clients in 2015 and was the first pottery painting cafe to open in Berkshire, after long consideration they have now decided to sell the business due to other business interests which mean they can’t invest the time required.
COFFEE …. CAKE…...CREATE!
The cafe / pottery studio embellishes the fun associated with the name of the business and the fun people take from the memories of the Alice in Wonderland story.
The business offers -
- Ethically sourced fresh coffees, speciality teas, incredible hot chocolates and locally sourced cakes, sandwiches and snacks (All staff are given full barista training to ensure same if not better quality than any high street coffee bar).
- An in-house pottery studio with its own Kiln which enables both children and adults to create their own piece of pottery for either personal use or gifts. In addition to single creations, the space also offers events for hen parties clubs & groups, cubs & brownies, private hire, baby showers & even corporate events.
- Pottery retail - if you’ve not got the time or wish to purchase pieces created by the team, there is a large choice of pottery available on the retail shelving area.
- Dog Friendly - dogs are made to feel welcome and can even sample the choice of dog friendly ice creams.
Included in the sale -
- Top rated business Website, Facebook page (with 4.9/5 Facebook customer reviews).
- Features business on the ‘Day out with the Kids’ website.
- Very loyal customer base of all ages including families who live out of the area who make this a destination visit through holidays.
“A group of us visited Mad Hatters for a friend's birthday. We were greeted by a lovely woman who settled us in under a birthday banner they'd put up specially. After answering all our questions, she left us to our work, and when we started painting, we found it surprisingly engaging and enormous fun “
“My friends had a dog who was made very welcome, and we even found out they offer dog ice cream! I loved it and am recommending it to friends and family all over. Check them out!”
“A lovely cafe that combines coffee and cakes with therapeutic painting of pottery items. My wife and I, both OAPs, enjoy spending a couple of hours each week just wasting time, painting and chatting to the lovely staff. Well worth a visit if you're in the area”
Our client’s attention to detail is clear to see in the design and quality of the equipment installed, a fully trained team with Manager is in place allowing an easy transfer from the existing owners.
We very rarely see business opportunities of this standard and highly recommend early viewing to avoid disappointment.
A full business handover will be offered.
As of the 2018 accounts the combined business achieved £354,290 with a gross profit of £179,818 and an adjusted net profit of £92,829. For further information quote reference B05790.
The business is run and managed by our client with the help of a General Manager, 4 x Shift Managers and 16 part time members of the team.
MONDAY - SATURDAY - 8.30am to 5.30pm
SUNDAY - 10.00am to 4.30pm
Mad Hatters Pottery Painting Cafe occupies a highly prominent trading position along School Road in Tilehurst, Reading.
The position benefits from being on the corner of Downing Road which is also very busy due to the location of Park Lane Primary School.
Tilehurst is an affluent suburb located on the outskirts of Reading offering an excellent choice of traditional residential housing as well as several new exciting new home developments attracting new families to the area. It lies to the west of the city and extends from the River Thames in the north to the A4 Road in the south.
The area is also just 2 mins drive from the busy M4 motorway which connects Bristol on the south-west directly into central London.
School Road offers a very good mix of independent shops, bars & restaurants, high street banks, local library, several good schools, Asda superstore and dental practice.
Nearest mainline station is Tilehurst, just 2 mins drive away.
The business benefits from a large free customer car park for up to 20 cars directly behind.
The premises underwent a £80,000 refit cost to create the space now enjoyed, total of 2,500 sq. ft is available internally.
- 3 x tables with 9 x chairs.
- Branded Barrier and signage.
- Raised window seating with 4 x chairs.
- Section of comfortable club chairs and tables.
- Section of sofas and lower tables.
- 60- 70 total covers with a rear cafe style arrangement of chairs and table.
- Pottery dedicated area - space for 20 people.
- Customer toilet including a disabled friendly/baby changing facilities.
- Pottery Retail area (right side of cafe) - fixed display shelving units.
- Service counter - includes glass fronted display cabinet, long prep bench area, ice cream freezer, glass fronted drinks chiller, under counter storage, 2 x panini grills, toaster, 2 x arm semi-automated coffee machine and grinder, hot chocolate machine, hot water urn, under counter fridge and freezers, fixed shelving, dishwasher and drinks blenders.
- 1st Storage area - includes pottery painting colours and utensils.
- Staff room, office area and toilet facilities.
- Storage room.
- Pottery making area - includes 2 x Krueger kilns (KM1227-3 & KM135HH), design iPad, printer, card machine, till, pottery racks, storage trolleys, L shaped counter with under counter storage.
- 2 x storage sheds.
- Large car park for up to 20 cars.
We are advised the business is being sold as a Leasehold with 3.5 years remaining in an 8-year renewable lease paying £24,700 per year, business rates paid currently are £12,000 per year.