Freehold café with a one bedroom flat for sale.
Birmingham, West Midlands
- Asking Price: £320,000 +SAV
We are advised that Oak Tree Café generates an advised current turnover of circa £94,000 per annum and the business continues to grow at an impressive pace.
Please quote reference B05057
- Tenure: Freehold/Leasehold
Please quote reference B05057
Hilton Smythe welcomes to the market, this lovely traditional and popular café, Oak Tree Café. It also has 1 x double bed, living room , kitchen, family bathroom and this is also included in the purchase of the freehold.
There has been a food based business at this site for over 20 years, the current owner purchased the business approximately 4 years ago and embarked on an ambitious plan to increase the size of the premises, improve the food offering and increase the turnover.
Following an investment of over £40,000 the business has expanded rapidly and has many regular customers.
The business is now being sold, albeit reluctantly and with a heavy heart only due to the vendor’s wish to emigrate to New Zealand. He is keen to see his well-loved business pass to an ambitious and entrepreneurial new owner who can take this wonderful and already thriving business to the next level. The business is being sold as both a freehold or as a leasehold opportunity.
Oak Tree Café is a traditional café offering an unusually comprehensive menu including;
- Coffees, teas and hot chocolates
- Cold drinks
- Toasties, Paninis and soups
- Pasta meals
- Meals with chips
- Jacket potatoes with many different fillingsPasties, sausage rolls
- Hot snacks
- Sandwiches, rolls and baguettes
- Hot Pork and stuffing
- Daily specials such as chicken Chow Mein
Oak Tree Café enjoys great visibility on the internet and has impressive reviews from the likes of TripAdvisor (5/5), www.yell.com and www.yelp.co.uk.
The sale will include the company Facebook page, as well as the business benefiting from having an A3 and A5 Licence and permissions to open until 11pm
Scope to improve
- Advertising and marketing campaign, perhaps a leaflet drop locally
- Maximise the use of social media
- Extend the opening hours, perhaps by opening as a bistro in the evenings
- Expand the outside catering side of the business, the business has existing corporate customers and provides business buffets etc, but this could be extended
- Develop a sandwich round, there are many businesses in the area that would potentially take advantage.
- Explore online offerings from the likes of Hungry House and Just Eat
- A well-established business with an enviable reputation and many regular customers
- Fantastic trading position on the busy Oak Tree Lane
- Low running costs with inexpensive rent and no business rates
- Current owner happy to offer a handover to ensure the continued success
- The freehold of the business and flat above may be available if required
- Ideal owner managed or partnership business
The business is run and managed by our client with the help of two part time members of staff and a casual staff member on Saturdays
Monday to Saturday 8am-2pm
Oak Tree Café is Located in the Selly Oak area of Birmingham in the West Midlands.
Selly Oak is an industrial and residential area in South West Birmingham.
The area gives its name to Selly Oak Ward and includes the neighbourhoods of Bournbrook, Selly Park and Ten Acres.
Selly Oak is connected to Birmingham by the Pershore Road (A441) and the Bristol Road (A38). The Worcester and Birmingham canal and the Birmingham Cross-City Railway Line run across the local district centre.
Selly Oak is home to much of the student population attending the University of Birmingham and the area has more than 900 undergraduates and postgraduate students living within it.
Oak Tree Café is in a prominent, main road position on the busy Oak Tree Lane in Selly Oak and is beautifully presented and maintained with clear and visible signage and distinctive blue livery.
There is free on street parking nearby along with an inexpensive shopper’s car park just across the road.
The business sits alongside other complimentary retail businesses including a healthcare business, Off Licence, pharmacy, main Post Office, opticians and other takeaway food outlets and restaurants, which means it enjoys great levels of both footfall and passing trade
Oak Tree Café occupies the ground floor of an end terraced retail unit and briefly comprises;
Pull out sun blind, electric security shutter, window and glazed door to front creating a light, airy and inviting interior.
Wood effect flooring, tongue and groove panelling to dado height, quality tables and chairs providing 22 internal covers and 8 externals.
Breakfast bar to one side with 4 stools, glass fronted drinks chiller, hanging menu boards, chalked specials board, open plan counter area with large hot pork station, glass fronted serve over counter, floating shelves and till.
A feature of this business is the extremely well equipped catering kitchen, the current owner has spent a considerable amount of money ensuring only the best equipment was purchased and the inventory includes;
- Two silver Panasonic microwaves
- Buffalo stainless steel urn
- Black Panasonic microwave
- 7 camera CCTV system linked to smart phone
- Alarm system linked to smart phone
- Zanussi under counter fridge
- Buffalo griddle x 2
- Buffalo 4 pot Bain Marie
- Panini maker
- Two stainless steel extraction canopies
- Twin basket, stainless steel fryer
- Buffalo Salamander grill
A good sized room to the rear of the kitchen with tiled floor and stable door to a secure rear yard and bin storage and featuring;
- Fridge / Freezer
- Tall upright fridge x 3
- Hotpoint freezer
- Small chest freezer
- Tall upright freezer
- Glass topped chest freezer
- Beko under counter freezer
- Indesit washing machine,
- Perimeter shelving
- Stainless steel trolley with castors
- Arlec air conditioning unit.
With tiled floor, staff lockers and coat storage
With UPVC wall cladding, perimeter shelving and floor storage space Built under Beko fan oven, hanging storage for utensils, stainless steel sink and drainer, stainless steel preparation tables
With toilet and hand wash basin
Under stairs Cupboard
There is a useful under stairs cupboard with built in shelving.
It has 1 x double bed, living room , kitchen, family bathroom and is accessed from its own front door at the front of the building.
We are advised that Oak Tree Café is being sold as both a freehold and/or as a leasehold opportunity.
The freehold purchase would also include the flat above.
The vendor is happy to negotiate a mutually acceptable lease with a new owner.