Highly regarded Reptile Pet Shop for sale
- Asking Price: £124,995 +SAV
We are advised as per the 2020 accounts, the business generated a turnover in the region of £230,000. Full financials can be made available upon further request.
Please quote reference B02141
- Tenure: Leasehold
Please quote reference B02141
Hilton Smythe is delighted to present to the market Evolution Reptiles, a highly regarded reptile business with both a successful retail store and growing on-line business platform.
The well-presented business was established by our client in 2007 who is now looking to pass on the successful business due to his decision to relocate.
Evolution Reptiles are a specialist reptile shop offering an exciting range of snakes, lizards, amphibians, tortoises, arachnids and invertebrates. The large and exciting range is available to buy in store and comes with expert advice from one of the loyal team members in place.
The area is seeing huge growth and it will continue to do so. They are also seeing an increase in house and terrarium plants.
The sale of the business includes -
Number vivarium’s/terrariums – On display
- 12 Wooden vivarium’s
- 25 glass terrariums
- 1 Snake (upto 20 snakes) and spider rack ( a lot of spiders and scorpions over 150)
- 34 wooden vivarium
- 1 tortoise house
- 6 Glass terrariums
- 2 glass terrariums for live foods (store use)
- Epos Now till system
- 19.4m (width of bays) of Tegometall shelving, with multiple shelves and some peg board
- UV meter, thermometers on vivarium’s
- 3 freezers
- New Panasonic 10.5kw air con unit fitted
- 3 fridges (1 glass fronted in the shop and 1 for animal feeds in the back area and 1 for human food in the office area).Microwave, safe in built into the floor
- ADT alarm
- 3 reliable incubators
- Breeding animals
- Bearded Dragons 3 (2f 1m) currently breeding (producing around 100 babies per year) and 3 (2f, 1m) being reared for next year’s breeding
- Leopard Geckos x 6
- East Indian leopard geckos x3
- Over 150 Spiders & scorpions
- 50 Snakes
- 50 - 150 Lizards (more available in the summer months)
- 15 Tortoises
Best-selling products include - crickets, wax worms and locusts.
The online shop offers a weekly or monthly live foods subscription, frozen foods and dry foods delivery service (Currently 97 subscribers).
Our client advises currently the sales are 70% from the shop and 30% from online purchases, however, advises there is lots of further potential for more online sales which will include animal sales too.
Reptile Welfare - The business works closely with specialist vets, experienced breeders and product manufacturers. Our client strives to constantly keep the team up to date with improved methods of pet welfare which is then passed onto to their customers. There is also a ‘Care Hub’ which includes care guides on their most popular reptiles.
Reptile Boarding – Customers can board their reptiles with confidence in a very clean, monitored environment within a safe area of the Oxford store. Our client advises this is much sought after service which any new owner should look to expand.
Key selling points –
- Excellent website (with an online ordering facility)
- Active Facebook page (with over 4,500 followers)
- 3 x Instagram page (with over 1,400 followers) (Evolution_reptiles_uk, Evolution_arachnids & and house_and_terrarium_plants)
- 5 star animal activities licence
- Online food subscriptions with over 120 subscribers
- Additional garage for storage
- 4.7/5 Google customer reviews
- Scope to increase breeding side
- Focused on supplying suitable pet species
- Online YouTube videos
- Increasing sales levels
- High level of equipment included
- Website uses ‘woocommerce’ which makes it very easy to use add new features
- Large and increasing catchment area – new customers coming from Scotland, Manchester, Poole, Somerset and London
- Opportunity to open additional stores
- Full business handover offered
- Experienced team in place
We are advised that the business has 3 full-time and 1 part-time staff members.
The business hours are -
Monday – Closed
Tuesday – 10:00am – 5:30pm
Wednesday – 10:00am – 5:30pm
Thursday - 10:00am – 5:30pm
Friday – 10:00am – 5:30pm
Saturday – 9:00am – 5:30pm
Sunday – 10:00am – 4:00pm
Evolution Reptiles occupies a prominent trading position just off Oxford Road (A4260) in Kidlington.
The highly regarded business sits along a popular parade of community shops which include a patisserie, Coral bookmakers, several takeaways, hair salon and tanning business.
The business attracts customers from the Oxford area as well from across the country due to its extensive range of reptiles, snakes and amphibians.
Kidlington is a large village in Oxfordshire located between the River Cherwell and the Oxford Canal, 5 miles north of Oxford and 7 miles south-west of Bicester.
The business is accessed just off the A34 which connects to the nearby M40 motorway.
Nearest mainline station is Oxford Parkway, just 2 mins up from the store.
There is free customer parking directly outside.
Ground Floor -
Large retail space with range of display shelving and tanks, service desk, rear stockroom and boarding area, staff area with kitchen and toilet facilities.
We are advised that the business is being sold on a Leasehold basis, with 4 years remaining on the 5 year lease. The rent is £1,416 per month and has £0 rates payable.