Long Standing Curtain & Upholstery Business – Two Sites
London, City of London
Please Quote Reference B05815
Hilton Smythe is privileged to offer to the market Material Concepts / London Cushion Company, originally established in its main curtain making model in 1994.
The combined businesses offer the following services -
- Luxury made to measure curtains.
- Bespoke blinds (Inc. smart home motorisation options).
- Seating Pads.
- Harlequin fabrics.
- Romo fabrics.
- Sanderson fabrics.
- Zoffany fabrics.
- Warwick fabrics.
London Headboard Company
Key selling points include -
- 3rd largest Curtain making company in London.
- Ongoing order book of 300 clients.
- Orders ranging from £45 to £390,000.
- A 200% increase in Turnover for the London Cushion Company.
- Very loyal and extremely skilled workforce.
- Full design, supply & installation (all work carried out comes with full guarantee).
- Full business handover.
- Opportunity to significantly grow.
- Ideal ‘bolt-on’ to any similar or linked interior business.
- Quick wins for running cost savings.
These contacts will be successfully handed over to any new buyer which will also include an agreed handover period to ensure smooth transition of any current projects.
Our client advises us 70% of Turnover is derived from the curtain/ blind orders and 30% through the upholstery/ cushion side of the business.
Our client admits being a part of a growing business has resulted in some areas of controls of the business not being addressed, in the last financial year he has both decreased the leasing costs by vacating a previous 3rd unit as well as decrease the unnecessary staffing costs by £100,000.
We believe any new owner may look to reduce running costs further by investigating any of the following areas -
- Reduce rental costs by moving both businesses into the same unit.
- Add a ‘out of London’ workshop.
- Extend current working hours.
- Advertise & Promote the business through website, social media and attending the many trade shows held within the capital and in other affluent parts of the Country.
- Target the boutique Hotel market, private member clubs and offices.
As of the 2018 accounts the combined turnover achieved in excess of £1,000,000 with an adjusted net profit of around £200,000.
For further information please reference B05815.
The business is run and managed by our client with 15 members of the team working over the 2 sites and includes the 3 fitters.
MONDAY - FRIDAY - 9am to 6 pm
Material Concepts / London Cushion Company are based in Battersea, London.
Material Concepts - occupies 2 x highly desirable shop units on Battersea Park Road with a separate unit on Queenstown Road which is just half mile away and mainly used for work supplied through London Cushion Company.
Battersea is a highly desirable district of South West London located within the London Borough of Wandsworth, just 2.9 miles southwest of Charing Cross.
This part of Battersea is renowned for its choice of high-end interior led businesses and our client’s business is one of the major independently run operations with over 25 years successful trading in this sector.
Majority of the work undertaken comes through Interior Designers, many of which are in London however the client’s homes where work is completed can be in different parts of the country or even in clients 2nd homes across the world.
Battersea Park Road is one of the few roads in the area to offer availability for free parking, very useful for visiting clients as well the businesses delivery vans.
168 Battersea Park Road - (ground floor)
- Main entrance door (customer and deliveries).
- Main showroom space to left and right side.
- 3 x admin/ consultation desks.
- Customer storage area for finished items.
- Fabric book display area.
- Store area and main fabric store space.
- Access to external area.
- Central Staircase.
- Workroom and storage area, includes a Singer sewing machine.
- Large workroom with workbench and storage.
- Large 3M curtain workbench, sewing machine & overlocker, rear storeroom, fabric storeroom.
- 3M workbench (curtains), smaller 1.8M x 1.8M workbench (blinds), sewing machine, storage shelves.
- 3M workbench, 1.5M x 1.5M workbench, 2 x sewing machines.
- ‘Track’ workshop, 5M workbench with storage shelving.
- Staff kitchen and toilet.
No.30 Queenstown Road
- 3 x upholstery workbenches, 2 x compressors.
- Kitchen area, staff toilet, 2M x 2M storeroom.
- 1 x large cutting bench, 3 x sewing machines, 1 x overlocker.
- Large front storeroom (own entrance door).
- 3 x delivery vans.
We are advised the business will be offered with a new Lease for 168/170 Battersea Park Road North paying a combined rent of £50,000 per year. Business rates for these units currently stand at £12,000 per year.
The second unit on Queenstown Road is offered with a 10 year renewable lease with 5.5 years remaining paying £32,000 per year.