One Of The Oldest Butchery Businesses In Bristol
Please uote Reference B05769
***Freehold option available at £285,000***
Hilton Smythe are pleased to have been given the opportunity to manage the sale of Kelvins Butchers which is a well-established retail butchers shop with a renowned reputation amongst residents. This is a superb opportunity to take on a high turnover local business in an area teeming with customers.
This is generally reputed to be one of the oldest butchery businesses in the Bristol area and is believed to date back to 1890.
The current owner has run it as Kelvins Butchers since 1998 and the business has flourished under his ownership accruing an impressive number of regular customers and a fantastic reputation, the business really has been a labour of love for him and is now only being sold, albeit very reluctantly and with a heavy heart only so that he can enjoy a well-earned retirement, he is keen to see his beloved butchers shop pass to an ambitious and entrepreneurial new owner who can take this already thriving business to the next level.
Kelvins Butchers sells a great selection of products including:
- Christmas Meat Hampers.
- Whole hams.
Scope to improve:
- Advertising and marketing campaign.
- Maximise the use of social media particularly Facebook and Twitter.
- Website, ideally with an online ordering facility.
- Explore online voucher discounters such as Groupon and Wowcher.
- Extend the opening hours.
- Introduce a customer loyalty card/ scheme.
- Expand the product range stocked, perhaps fruit and vegetables etc.
- Introduce a delivery service.
- Approach local pubs, restaurants, residential homes etc with a view to becoming their preferred supplier.
- A well-established business with an enviable reputation and many existing customers.
- All fixtures and fittings included making this a real Turnkey business opportunity.
- Ideal owner managed or partnership business.
- Current owner happy to offer a handover to ensure the continued success.
- Includes living accommodation or immediate rental income.
- Prime trading position in an unusually busy and vibrant shopping centre.
- Little or no competition locally.
- Lots of residential building in the area which will increase foot fall considerably.
Kelvins Butchers generates an advised current turnover of circa £231,000 per annum with a healthy gross profit. For further information please quote reference B05769.
The business is run and managed by our client with the help of one full time and two part time members of staff.
Monday to Saturday: 08.00 – 17.00
Kelvins Butchers is in Bedminster, Bristol.
Bedminster is a district of Bristol on the south side of the city. It is also the name of a council ward, which includes the central part of the district and some other areas. The two main shopping streets in Bedminster, East Street and North street, form part of the A38 road, extending from Bedminster Bridge over the New Cut to Bedminster Down.
Kelvins Butchers is in East street which is an unusually busy and vibrant shopping centre. The business sits alongside other complimentary retail businesses and thus benefits from high levels of footfall and passing trade.
The business is beautifully presented and maintained with clear visible signage and distinctive red livery. There is low cost metered parking just around the corner from the business. Additionally, there is a large public car park, a short walk from the premises that offers free parking for 3 hours.
Kelvins Butchers occupies two floors of an inner terraced, period property and briefly comprises;
Windows and glazed door to front creating a light, airy and inviting interior, fully fitted to suit the trade with tiled walls and floor, refrigerated window display, long glass serve over counter, stainless steel preparation tables, butchers block, vacuum packing machine, till, stainless steel fridge, mincer, meat slicing, weighing machines.
Utility / Wash up area;
With stainless steel sink and drainer with electric water heater, separate hand wash basin, perimeter shelving.
With space for desk, chair and filing cabinets etc.
To the first floor is a self-contained flat which is accessed by stairs from the wash up area comprising lounge, kitchen bathroom and a double bedroom. This is currently rented out achieving a monthly rent of £495.
The business has also recently had Air Conditioning installed costing £3,000.
We are advised that Kelvins Butchers is being sold as a Leasehold business opportunity, with lease and rent terms to be negotiated.
A freehold option is available at £285,000.
We are advised that the business benefits from being exempt from business rates.