Picturesque Cafè Delicatessen and Cookshop In A Stunning Location
Petworth, West Sussex
- Asking Price: £100,000 +SAV
- Turnover: We are advised the turnover achieved in the 2017 accounts was in the region of £227,414 with a gross profit of £128,687 and adjusted net profit of approx. £52,070.
- Tenure: Leasehold
Hilton Smythe are delighted to present to the market Cates Delicatessen and Cookshop, established in Petworth over 30 years ago and purchased by our clients in 2002 who now have decided to sell to retire.
The highly successful business comes with a new 11-year Lease.
A dual business opportunity with 1 x side operating as a Deli and the other as a sit-down Cafè / coffee cookshop.
Our client advises the spilt is 60% Deli 40% Cafè in the Winter and 75%/25% in the Summer months. They attract both visiting tourists and celebrities, residents and business owners.
Our client also offers some outside catering for private parties however this side of the business offers endless scope to increase and include more orders from corporate customers.
The Deli offers a large selection of fresh produce including,
- Fine hams
- Locally sourced smoked salmon
- Breaded ham on the bone
- Organic extra virgin oils from Spain
- Infused oils and vinegars
- Locally made breads
- Unusual selection of confectionery
- Local farm delivered eggs
- Many unusual grocery lines not available in the supermarket
- Fresh organic soups
- Healthy ready meals & sandwiches
- Treacle tarts
- Freshly made to order sandwiches
- Range of teas
- Choice of coffee beans (available to be ground to your preference)
- Hot and cold drinks
- Hot and cold sandwiches
- Jacket potatoes
- Antipasto and ploughman’s
- Bean to cup coffee choices
- Infused teas
- Including daily specials
The business comes with a website, Facebook page and new Twitter account. The business takes an active part in the Petworth Business Association which promotes events and businesses within the area.
Opportunity to grow sales further would be in offering more deliveries, extend current opening hours and open Sunday, adding a pop-up evening menu or full evening bistro side.
The business would be an ideal lifestyle changing opportunity with all the hard work in researching what sells.
Hilton Smythe advise early viewing as business of this type and area rarely come to market.
The business is run and managed by our clients who only work part time now with the help of 2 fulltime members and 2 part time members of staff.
Any new buyer could continue to reduce the staffing costs by working more hours.
Monday to Saturday 9:00am to 5.30pm
Sunday Closed (opportunity to open)
Cates Delicatessen and Cookshop occupies a highly desirable trading position in Golden Square, Petworth, West Sussex.
Petworth is a beautiful Market Town, a centre of Arts and Culture set in the heart is the South Downs National Park and surrounded by the walls of Petworth House and park.
Petworth has recently been voted as the most desirable place to live and visit within the West Sussex County. It offers a year-round diary of festivals, markets, exhibitions, craft fayres, music concerts and walks.
Petworth town is mentioned in the Domesday Book and particularly known for its stately home and grounds which now belong to the National Trust. The quaint streets are filled with period character houses and independent retailers specialising in antiques, local produce, afternoon teas.
The Town is located just off the A272 and is 6.5 miles east of Midhurst and 16 miles west of Horsham. Petworth is also a popular stop off for those travelling to many events in nearby Goodwood.
There is a large pay and display car park directly behind the business with large spaces for Coaches and Cyclists.
- Tall upright glass fronted drinks fridge
- Open display chiller
- Central solid wood table for oils and dry goods
- Fixed floor to ceiling grocery shelving
- L shaped glass fronted display cabinet
- Service counter
- Card machine
- Chrome display shelving unit
- Herb stand
- Tall upright freezer
- 2 x microwaves
- 2 x stainless steel prep bench units
- Under counter fridge
- Undercounter freezer
- 2 x electronic scales
- Meat slicer
- Coffee bean grinder
- New 2 x arm semi-automated coffee machine with grinder
- Turbofan oven
- Pasty warmer
- Wall fan
- Air con unit
- Fixed wall shelving units
- Preparation sink
- Hand wash sink
- Fixed wall mounted blackboard menus
- 4 x camera CCTV system
- New security alarm
- 16 covers internally
- 4 outside in the courtyard
- 2 x ice cream freezers
- Fixed wall diary shelving for cookware products
- Small stockroom
- Staff toilet
We are advised the business is been sold as a Leasehold opportunity with a very desirable new 11-year Lease in place paying £20,000 per year.
The rateable value for the units is £15,500.